Valco KGB Fuzz
The Valco KGB Fuzz is a multi-function/tone-sculpting fuzz machine, designed to work within a sound-creation chain or as a regular standalone fuzz pedal (and everything in between!).
The KGB is designed specifically to work with K (keys, synths), G (guitar) and B (bass). The Variable Input Impedance works best with passive instruments (guitar/bass) and allows tone-sculpting with or without the fuzz circuit engaged. Lower settings yield softer dynamics/transients with a notable ‘rounded/vintage’ feel and tone. Higher settings gives a sharper high frequency response with a more direct/aggressive transient feel and more perceived gain. This makes for a great ’shaping’ control, where you can tune the pedal for its best response to the pickups you are using and how you want them to react/feel.
- Variable Input Impedance Selection.
- Multi-mode Silicon Fuzz, covering ’Two Knob’, ‘ToneBender’, ‘Muff’ and ‘Velcro’ fuzz styles.
- Blend fuzz/dry mix fader.
- Impedance Selector – changes the input impedance value, allowing you to change the tonality of the fuzz, dry signal, or any other pedal down the line. Recreates lower impedance sounds of vintage fuzz pedals. Allows you to alter/tune the transient/dynamic response of your guitar and signal path.
- LINE/INST Switch – activates the Impedance Selector when set to ‘Inst’. In ‘Line’ position, impedance is fixed.
- Blend Fader – controls the mix between your fuzz and dry signal. Fully up is 100% fuzz. Fully down is 100% clean but with the signal routed through the Impedance Selector.
- FUZZ – controls the amount of Fuzz.
- TONE – controls the tonal voicing. Tone is modified by the 4-position rotary switch, bypassed completely when the Voice is set to OFF.
- LEVEL – controls the overall output volume of the Fuzz section/circuit. Increased output headroom so you’ll never go unheard!
- VOICE – selects the fuzz voice. See below for further details.
- OFF- ‘Tone Bypass’. Acts as a ‘2 Knob’ fuzz, using FUZZ and LEVEL controls only.
- ‘Mid Scoop’. Introduces a 1Khz EQ dip, giving a ‘Muff’ style fuzz.
- ‘3 Knob Mode’. A more neutral EQ curve with increased mid focus. Great for both rhythm and lead fuzz tones.
- ‘Gated’. Using the same EQ circuit as Voice 2, Voice 3 configures the fuzz section to enter deep bias saturation with the introduction of an extra input drive stage. The more you drive, the more gnarly and gated the sound becomes. The classic gated/starved fuzz sound.
- 1/4” Input.
- Dry Out (permanent ‘thru’ dry signal (pre-imp selector)).
- 1/4’ Output.
The analog circuitry includes a fully regulated analog ground for maximum immunity form hum, power supply variations and battery aging.
All active components are surface mounted. PCBs and ribbon are cables used throughout. No unreliable point‐to point wiring. Lead and cadmium free construction (RoHS).
To install or replace 9V battery (not included), grab one of the footswitches and use it to lift the top cover of the pedal case up and swing it back. Snap the battery clip onto the battery terminals and place the battery in the spring clip at the inside back left of the housing cover. The battery is connected whenever a plug is inserted into the jacks. Be sure to unplug from jacks when pedal is not in use.
If an AC adaptor plug (not included) is inserted, the internal battery is disconnected. Replace battery when you detect a loss of signal output level, unusual distortion, or a dimming of the LEDs.
Dimensions: 7.09″ length X 5.24″ width X 3.43″ height (180mm X 133mm X 87 mm)